SHRM's global HR credentials, SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP, offer growth, advancement and recognition. These credentials are based on extensive global research involving employers, academics, and practicing HR professionals at all levels to ensure they maintain an industry-leading level of excellence and relevance in this ever-evolving profession.
By becoming SHRM certified, you prove your knowledge, competency and value to colleagues and to employers looking for a competitive edge in today's global economy. Wherever your career takes you, your SHRM certification will define you as an HR expert and leader.
Ensure you're prepared with our course designed for SHRM credential candidates. Expand and test your knowledge and practical, real-life competencies in areas critical for HR career success.
Eric Johansen, SPHR, SHRM-SCP, has over 25 years of combined HR experience across the military, private sector and government sectors. A graduate of North Georgia College, Eric commissioned in the U.S. Army as an Adjutant General Corps officer where he spent eight years on active duty in a variety of assignments and locations, including Germany, Saudi Arabia and Egypt. He then transitioned into the private sector where he spent time as a recruiter and director of human resources. He sat for and passed the Professional in Human Resources in 2009, the Senior Professional in Human Resources in 2011, and the SHRM Senior Certified Professional in 2016.
Eric started with Bureau of Intelligence and Research (INR), U.S. Department of State in April 2009 where he has served as the Chief Human Capital Officer. Eric is currently enrolled in a Masters of Professional Studies in Applied Industrial and Organizational Psychology at George Mason University. Eric’s other professional education includes the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Certificate from Cornell University and The Transformative Leadership in Disruptive Times Certificate Program at The George Washington University School of Business. He has been teaching the Course in Professional Human Resource Management at American University since Spring 2020.
Offered in partnership with the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), the curriculum provided in the 2019 SHRM Learning System is designed by global subject matter experts and covers the entire SHRM Body of Competency and Knowledge™ (SHRM BoCK™). Throughout the program HR professionals are encouraged to acquire the Competencies and Knowledge they'll need to effectively perform their jobs and achieve career success. Our course is designed to help you learn and retain the material effectively and efficiently by combining the best exam preparation system with expert instruction and peer discussion.
American University's program offers you a preparation course to help meet your needs and increase your success on the SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP exams.
Benefits to You
You'll benefit from:
- An experienced, SHRM-certified instructor.
- The SHRM Learning System, historically ranked the #1 HR certification prep tool.
- Ability to acquire the knowledge and understand the behavioral competencies to help you prepare for the exam.
- A structured learning experience that keeps you on track.
- Opportunities to network and learn from your peers.
- Eligibility for tuition reimbursement.
- Earning up to 36 professional development credits (PDCs) if you are attending this program for professional development only.
Benefits to Your Employer
Certification benefits your entire organization:
- It demonstrates that your HR professionals have mastered the application of HR technical and behavioral competencies.
- Certification prepares your HR staff to assume greater leadership roles and contribute to the strategic direction of your organization.
- Exam preparation helps HR professionals bring new ideas to your organization that will help drive success.
- It helps create a common HR language that optimizes consistency and effectiveness.
- Certification is relevant worldwide, as exams cover the global SHRM BoCK™.
Our certification preparation course is designed primarily for individuals seeking SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP certification. Certification is a great choice for HR professionals who want to:
- Increase their knowledge
- Advance their skills
- Earn recognition from the global community
Advance Your Career
If you're not interested in certification but want to improve your HR skills, this course provides a comprehensive and accelerated option for professional development. Participants gain a generalist viewpoint, refresh key ideas and concepts, strengthen their understanding of core behavior and technical competencies and increase productivity in the workplace.
As an official SHRM Education Partner, we are able to build our course on the SHRM Learning System, giving you access to the most comprehensive, effective and up-to-date exam preparation tools available. The 2019 SHRM Learning System delivers:
- Effective and Proven Results: Candidates who use the SHRM Learning System consistently beat the average exam pass rate.
- One Source for Knowledge and Application: All the study tools you need to understand, apply and engage with behavioral competencies and HR knowledge.
- Current and Relevant Content: The SHRM Learning System has been updated to align with the 2019 SHRM BoCK, the defined standard for knowledge and competencies required of HR professionals around the world.
- Convenient 24/7 Online Access to your study tools from any mobile device, tablet, or computer.
The SHRM Learning System is comprised of four modules of study based on the SHRM BoCK:
Module: HR Competencies
- Leadership and Navigation
- Ethical Practice
- Business Acumen
- Critical Evaluation
- Relationship Management
- Global and Cultural Effectiveness
- HR Strategic Planning
- Talent Acquisition
- Employee Engagement & Retention
- Learning & Development
- Total Rewards
- Structure of the HR Function
- Organizational Effectiveness & Development
- Workforce Management
- Employee & Labor Relations
- Technology Management
- HR in Global Context
- Diversity & Inclusion
- Risk Management
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Employment Law & Regulations (U.S. only)
Hear from Michelle Kissler, SHRM-CP, who decided to pursue certification to establish that she had the HR expertise necessary to succeed as an HR consultant.